There are several factors that can affect your weight loss efforts. These include making changes in your diet, workout and lifestyle. Fortunately, there are tools and tips to get you on the right track.
Preparing for a diet
In general, to lose weight, you should eat fewer calories than your body uses. Calories come from the foods you eat. Some foods have more calories than others. For example, foods high in fat and sugar are usually high in calories. Some foods consist mainly of “empty calories”. They add a lot of calories to your diet but provide no nutritional value.
If you eat more calories than your body needs, they are stored in the form of fat. One kilogram of fat is about 7000 calories. So, to lose one kilogram of fat in a week, you need to eat 7000 calories less, that is 1000 kcal less per day. One of the things you should do to get started is to eliminate fizzy drinks from your diet. This alone helps you cut your calorie intake by over 350 calories a day. You can also burn about 3500 calories a week by exercising or being more active.
Most experts believe that you shouldn’t lose more than one kilogram a week. If you lose more, this means that you lose water weight and lean muscle mass, instead of getting rid of fat deposits. It can leave a person with less energy and cause a return to the previous body weight.
Other tips for improving your diet include:
- Eating only when you are hungry.
- The diet should not cause you to skip meals. Intentionally skipping meals does not lead to weight loss. Instead, it can cause you to overeat or make poor food choices.
- You should try to eat a variety of unprocessed foods. This includes lean meat, wholegrain breads and dairy.
- It’s a good idea to avoid processed foods and foods high in fat or sugar.
- During the diet, it is recommended to drink plenty of fluids. Choose low-calorie drinks, such as water or unsweetened tea.
Being consciously active
Both adults and children should engage in regular physical activity. This is important for both weight loss and maintaining good health. Below are ways to increase your activity and burn calories.
- Extend your current workout program by 10 minutes.
- Transition from moderate to intense exercise.
- Choose stairs over the elevator.
- Walk or cycle instead of driving.
- Do more housework, such as vacuuming, doing the dusting or weeding beds.
- Increase your activity when on holidays. It’s a great idea to take a hike or a bike ride instead of lying on the beach.
- Purchase a pedometer or an activity monitor. Such a device measures the number of steps you take each day. It is worthwhile to increase your daily number of steps over time. Some experts recommend walking at least 10,000 steps a day.
- Limit the time spent online, on watching TV and playing video games. It should total less than 2 hours per day.
When starting a diet, a person will need to change their schedule to make modifications in their diet and exercise. This may involve getting up early to exercise or packing a lunch to avoid eating fast food. Diet and exercise should be followed by other lifestyle changes. Adequate sleep can help you lose weight, because sleep affects the body’s hormonal balance. This includes hormones that tell the body if it’s hungry. It’s also worth trying to reduce your stress levels. Many people link stress to weight gain.
When starting a weight loss plan, there are a few things to keep in mind. You may encounter an obstacle along the way that makes it difficult to lose weight. Your weight loss plan should be safe and effective.
For some people, weight gain may be related to genetics. Others may have a medical condition which makes it difficult to lose weight. Examples include:
- Hormonal disorders
- Cushing’s disease
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Sleep disorders
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Eating disorders
It’s worth talking to your doctor about how to manage your weight despite these obstacles.
What about dietary supplements?
Dietary supplements are intended to supplement some people’s diets, but they are not a substitute for balancing a variety of foods crucial for a healthy diet. Although everyone needs enough nutrients, too much of some can cause problems. Information about the functions and potential benefits of vitamins and minerals is important when choosing a supplement.
If you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have a chronic medical condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure or a heart disease, consult your doctor or pharmacist before purchasing or taking any supplement. Although dietary supplements are widely used and have a reputation for supporting weight loss, not every supplement will be suitable for everyone. Many supplements contain active ingredients that have strong biological activity, so they should be chosen in moderation.
Perfect Choice Patches are becoming increasingly popular among people who want to shed a few pounds without drastically changing their daily routine or diet. They are easy to use and provide an extra boost to your metabolism. A good diet and exercise plan can be effective if you want to lose weight, but the right supplement will help you achieve that faster and with less effort.
There is no one magic diet that would help everyone lose weight. The idea of “going on a diet” means that one day you will “go off your diet”. It’s not worth relying on a fad diet to do the work on its own. Instead, it’s a good idea to find a healthy, balanced eating and supplementation plan that can become a practical lifestyle.